It’s no revelation that what we eat affects how we look and feel. Too much junk, caffeine, or alcohol shows up on our bodies. Midsection bloat, sallow skin, and dark circles are all telltale signs of a less-than-healthy diet.
Did you know unhealthy eating can also affect your hair? It’s true. Not getting enough of the good stuff could be causing dryness, dullness, breakage, and even hair loss.
The good news? It couldn’t be easier to get healthy-hair essentials into your life. Before you reach for supplements or chemical hair treatments for a quick fix, take a look at the best foods for healthy hair and get them into your regular eating plan for gorgeous, shiny locks. Of course, you’ll get the biggest payoff by opting for organic foods whenever possible. And don’t forget to drink plenty of filtered water.
10 Best Foods for Healthy Hair
1. Blueberries: These teensy berries are antioxidant powerhouses, ranked #1 fruit in antioxidant activity by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This means they fight free radical damage and protect against premature aging. Get your daily dose, especially if you are dealing with thinning, brittle hair.
2. Coconut oil: When we don’t eat enough healthy fats it shows up on our skin and hair. Dry, dull looking locks can signal a deficiency. Coconut oil is chock full of essential fatty acids that help to keep hair follicles moisturized and supple, and support healthy hair growth. It also works topically to give hair luster and shine. Be sure you are using the highest quality coconut oil, like the Organic Virgin Coconut Oil we use in ST. TROPICA Hair Mask.
3. Green Tea: We know that this superfood protects against environmental damage and premature aging. Did you know it also helps stimulate hair growth? That’s right, adding green tea into your daily regimen will keep your mane full and healthy. We’ve added Panthenol-containing Organic Green Tea to our hair mask, perfect for those concerned with hair growth.
4. Eggs: This incredible edible is rich in biotin that helps to thicken and strengthen hair. It also gives locks a healthy shine. Good for dealing with thinning hair. Other ways to get biotin? Almonds, salmon, and avocados contain this B vitamin. And, of course, we use Organic Biotin in our hair mask too.
5. Lentils: These little legumes are a great source of iron-rich protein, important for healthy hair growth. Lean meats are also good for supplying iron, but if you prefer a veg diet, you can’t beat lentils. Make a place for healthy protein in your diet if you are seeing hair loss.
6. Nuts and Seeds: Zinc is essential to tissue health, and that includes hair. The mineral ensures proper growth and repair, and a great source is through seeds and nuts. Also peanut butter, yogurt, lean beef, and oysters. Good for those experiencing dryness or flaky scalp.
7. Sweet potatoes: This orange veg is rich in vitamin A, which helps with cell growth. A deficiency can mean dull, dry locks. On the flip side, too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. Rather than turning to supplements to get more of this vitamin, add beta-carotene rich foods to your diet, like sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, asparagus, cantaloupe, and pumpkin.
8. Shiitake Mushrooms: If your natural hair color has faded or appears dull, get some of these healthy hair beauties in your diet. Shiitake mushrooms are rich in copper, which helps to maintain natural color and may prevent premature graying. Seaweed and sesame seeds are other options for getting your copper.
9. Spinach: If you’ve ever been low in iron, you know that spinach should be in your diet. This iron-rich leafy green is also high in folate, a B vitamin that keeps the body properly oxygenated. Since low iron can mean hair loss, it is extra important to eat foods like spinach during times of physical, emotional, or hormonal stress.
10. Strawberries: Hair breaking off? You need some vitamin C. And strawberries are packed with it. Vitamin C supports collagen production and strengthens hair, helping to ward off breakage. Other sources are citrus fruits and bell peppers.
Comments will be approved before showing up.